Wednesday, November 24, 2010

VeganMofo: Mom's Brisket


Guest Post by DocDufresne
Growing up in my household, we didn't have a lot of creative foods. My dad came up with some crazy stuff now and then (spaghetti soup! wtf?)

One of the special occasion staples was brisket. My mom made this every once and a while.

I called her up to get the recipe from her (keep in mind that my family doesn't eat meat any more, although my mom is not quite veg) and the exchange went something like this:

Me: Hey Mom, what's the recipe for brisket that you used to make?
Mom: You want to make brisket?
Me: Well, for MoFo, Amanda is veganizing family recipes.
Mom: Hmm, this seems a little difficult.
Me: Well, I'll come up with something.
Mom: Okay, well, I marinated the brisket with a sauce made of onion soup, ketchup, mustard, and a carbonated beverage.
Me: Carbonated beverage? Like beer?
Mom: Yeah, beer, coke, whatever.
Me: ?????@!@#!? coke?

Since this was my family's recipe, I made this. To make the seitan, I based the recipe on this. Keep in mind that I'm terrible at following recipes, so I didn't quite stick to it. For the water, I substituted beer. I made up a sauce of beer, ketchup and mustard. It wasn't bad.
I served that with steamed sweet potatoes and leftover beet/cabbage/carrot salad.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. oh god. i can't believe you looked forward to brisket! both of my grandmothers tortured us with this. both made on the stovetop with potatoes and onions on the side--maternal grandmother cooked it in a ketchup gravy, paternal grandma used a mustard gravy.

    scrounchy face!
    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete