Monday, November 15, 2010

VeganMoFo: Bubbie's Split Pea Soup

Recipe: Split Pea Soup
Family Member: Bubbie

Brief Description: I saw my Bubbie, who lived in Pennsylvania, about once a year growing up. Coincidentally, upon my graduation, I moved to Pennsylvania several months after she passed away. While certainly no vegetarian herself, my Bubbie always made accommodations for my vegetarian aunt, and later me, taking it upon herself to veg*nize favorite dishes to be enjoyed by all. One such dish is her Split Pea Soup. Simple, filling, and tasty. It might be a little plain to your taste, so feel free, as I do, to use veggie stock instead of plain water, and add a few splashes of hot sauce to taste. I used a combo of yellow and green split peas this time.

Original Ingredients:
Olive oil
1 lb dried split peas
2 qts water
1 small onion, diced
Grated carrots (it appears she never told me how many…)
¼ cup barley
Bay leaves
½ tsp liquid smoke

Original Directions:
1. Sautee peas in pot with oil. Add onion and carrots. Add water and the remaining ingredients and stir so that nothing sticks.
2. Simmer for 45 minutes with a lid partially covering the pot, until the peas melt down.

Vegan Notes: None!

6 comments:

  1. This soup looks great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pea soup twins! It must be the weather. Or that we both have excellent taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like it would be so great on a cold night! Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't care for split pea, but this soup looks delicious. Maybe I've misjudged them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sweet. I love split pea soup and I love grandmas and I love the nickname Bubbie. So, your post has made me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाJune 3, 2011 at 3:35 AM

    Looks good and healthy.

    ReplyDelete