Sunday, November 14, 2010
VeganMoFo: Grandma's French Breakfast Puffs
Recipe: French Breakfast Puffs
Family Member: Grandma Jane
Brief Description: These calorie-dense sugary treats were saved for special weekend breakfasts in my family. They really should be enjoyed right out of the oven. Sugar. Cinnamon. Butter-like substance. You can’t go wrong. This time I made mini puffs (15 min at 350*) and halved the recipe.
1/3 cup butter, softened
½ cup sugar
½ cup milk
1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp nutmeg
6 tbsp butter
½ cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Beat together 1/3 cup butter, sugar, and egg. Add milk.
2. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Add this mixture to the butter mixture. Combine.
3. Fill greased muffin tins ¾ full and bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes.
4. While the puffs are baking, melt 6 tbsp butter in a heat-safe bowl. In another bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
5. When the puffs are finished baking, dip each one in the melted butter completely, then coat each in the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Eat!
Vegan Notes: I did what I often do in baking recipes and subbed canola oil for the butter in the first mixture. For the butter needed the second time in the recipe, I used Earth Balance. I used EnerG Egg Replacer for the egg, and since I just finished up the last of the almond milk in the fridge, I used soy creamer for the milk.