Sunday, November 21, 2010
VeganMoFo: Bubbie's Oatmeal Cake
Recipe: Oatmeal Cake
Family Member: Bubbie
Brief Description: I have to admit, I don’t recall eating this growing up, but my dad told me that this Oatmeal Cake is amazing, so I decided to try it. It’s a very dense, not overly-sweet cinnamon-flavored cake with a ganache-type icing mixed with nuts and coconut. Very tasty. Doc was super impressed with this cake. I thought it would have been lovely with some sliced apples baked into it, upside down style, and a glaze on top. Just a thought.
Margarine - 1/2 lb (2 sticks)
Oatmeal - 2 cups
Boiling Water - 2 1/2 cups
Sugar - 2 cups
Brown Sugar - 2 cups
Eggs - 4
Flour - 2 2/3 cups
Baking Soda - 2 tsps
Cinnamon - 2 tsps
Vanilla - 2 tsps
1. Pour boiling water over margarine & oatmeal. Stir and let stand 20 minutes. Stir again.
2. In separate bowl beat sugar and eggs together. Add to Oatmeal mixture.
3. Combine last 4 ingredients and add to oatmeal mixture. Place in buttered and floured pan.
4. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes.
5. While cake is still warm frost with following frosting.
Brown sugar - 3/4 cup
Butter - 6 tbsp
Milk - 1/3 cup
Walnuts - 1 cup
Cocoa - 1/2 cup
Shredded coconut - 1/2 cup
Original Directions: Bring brown sugar, butter, and mild to a boil and remove from heat. Add remaining ingredients and frost cake.
Vegan Notes: I used Earth Balance as the margarine/butter, 1 cup applesauce instead of the eggs, and soy milk as the milk.
Other Notes: It would have been good to double the frosting recipe since I used two round cake pans instead of a rectangular one. I also put some of the frosting between the layers.