Saturday, November 6, 2010

VeganMoFo: Aunt W's Baked Oatmeal


Recipe: Baked Oatmeal [GLUTEN FREE]
Family Member: Aunt W

Brief Description: Tasty and hearty, with a hint of sweet, baked oatmeal is a truly comforting breakfast dish, perfect to warm you (and the kitchen) on a cold morning. This Pennsylvania Dutch recipe, comes from my Aunt W who lives near Amish country. She's a great cook and this is one of my favorite recipes of hers. My dad made this for Doc and me when he came to visit us in Philly. Soooo Yummy and I don't even really like oatmeal!

Original Ingredients:
1½ cups Oatmeal (not instant)
1/3 cup sugar (white or brown)
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup raisins
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ cups skim milk
1 egg
1 tbsp oil
½ peeled apple chopped or shredded

Original Directions:
1. Mix all dry stuff together in a mixing bowl
2. Mix all of the wet stuff, egg and chopped apple together
3. Pour the mixed wet stuff, into the mixed dry stuff and mix
4. Pour mixture into a baking dish or pie plate, cover and refrigerate overnight to allow oatmeal to soak-up the milk
5. Preheat oven to 350F
6. Take it out of the fridge and sprinkle with a little cinnamon
7. Bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes until firm
8. Slice into wedges. Serve in a bowl with fresh sliced fruit and milk, or plain with maple syrup
9. Enjoy!

Vegan Notes: I used vanilla almond milk in the place of the diary milk and applesauce with a dash of EnerG Egg replacer to replace the egg. I also halved the recipe since it was for just the two of us. We topped the DELICIOUS baked oatmeal with vanilla almond milk and maple syrup.

5 comments:

  1. Your theme continues to be one of my very favorites so far! I am not an oatmeal person either, but since you love this and are not a huge oatmeal fan, I will definitely be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We aren't big consumers of the meal that is oat but this does sound tasty. Thanks for the recipe!

    Happy MoFo'ing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe "meal that is oat"

    celyn, it is seriously tasty. Doc and I finished ours and then wished I had made a full batch of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this baking in the oven right now. It smells amazing; I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww this makes me happy! I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete