Tuesday, November 2, 2010

VeganMoFo: Bubbie's Tabbouleh


Recipe: Tabbouleh
Family Member: Bubbie
Brief Description: This side dish needs very little introduction. Tabbouleh (or “tabouli”) recipes vary in the amount of each ingredient used, but generally include the same contents. This recipe is heavier on the parsley. Tasty with the perfect balance of flavors, I’ve enjoyed it all of my life. Perhaps it’s cheating a little, but this one is also naturally vegan.

Original Ingredients:
¾ cup bulgar wheat
2 chopped tomatoes
4 tbsp finely chopped onion
2 cups chopped parsley
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil

Original Directions:
1. Place bulgar wheat in a heat-safe mixing bowl. Pour boiling water on top until it’s 1 inch above the bulgar wheat. Let sit for 15 minutes.
2. Strain the bulgar wheat and let cool to room temperature.
3. Add all other ingredients and mix thoroughly. Serve chilled.

Vegan Notes:
None! Enjoy this along with your favorite homemade hummus and pita!

8 comments:

  1. That looks so refreshing and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tabbouleh looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, I love your theme so much, what a wonderful idea. The tabbouleh looks great. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just told you about my first tabbouleh experience. I love it. I like the kind that is mostly parsley with just a little grain. MMMmm.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a soft space in my heart for grandmothers. I can't wait to see the rest of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How have I missed your blog???!!
    That tabbouleh looks great and I've never had tabbouleh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, thanks, thanks!

    Jeni, I somehow missed your blog until today too! Sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाJune 3, 2011 at 3:38 AM

    Perfect summer lunch!

    ReplyDelete