Wednesday, November 3, 2010

VeganMoFo: Grandma's Noodles Romanoff

Recipe: Noodles Romanoff
Family Member: Grandma Jane
Brief Description: Another staple from my childhood, Noodles Romanoff is a salty, gooey, mass of noodles in white sauce. The best part in my pre-gan days was the ton of parmesan cheese solidified on top after baking.

Original Ingredients:
1 bag egg noodles, cooked according to package instructions
1 cup large curd cottage cheese
1 cup sour cream
4 tbsp minced white onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
Worcestershire sauce, to taste
Tobacco sauce, to taste
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Parmesan cheese (you know, the kind in the green plastic shaker)
Original Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients, save the parmesan cheese. Place in a casserole dish. Top with a ton of parmesan cheese.
2. Bake at 350* for 40 minutes, until the parmesan cheese is slightly browned on top.

Vegan Notes: For the cottage cheese I made a mixture of crumbled firm tofu, vegan sour cream, a dollop of vegan plain yogurt, vegan cream cheese, nooch, and salt. I used vegan equivalents of the other non-vegan ingredients, including rotini pasta in the place of egg noodles and “Vegan Grated Topping” and some nooch in place of the parmesan. I used quite a lot of the Worcestershire and hot sauces, and it came out tasting pretty much exactly like how I remember, but it was a bit drier. I would bump up the liquids by using the whole container of sour cream or adding unsweetened soy milk. Tasty!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I love creamy noodle dishes! Will definitely have to try this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally loving your theme. It sounds delicious, and look at those crispy potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I love that you are veganizing family recipes!

    ReplyDelete