Friday, November 12, 2010

VeganMoFo: Dad's Peppery Sweet Acorn Squash


Gaah! I ran out of daylight to take photos of the pumpkin pie I made last night (I blame Kittee for agreeing to taking a trip with me to see a guy about canning jars), so I'm pulling a photo from the archives for today's recipe. Pumpkin pie tomorrow!

Recipe: Peppery Sweet Acorn Squash [GF]
Family Member: Dad

Brief Description: This is somewhat of a recent family recipe. Last year my dad told me about his preferred method for preparing acorn squash and we've been making it his way ever since. The black pepper and sweet brown sugar are such a wonderful combination. If you're lucky (and get the right balance of "butter" to sugar) you'll end up with globs of gooey caramel-type goodness on your baking dish. Soooo good.

Original Ingredients:
1 acorn squash, cut into eighths
several pats of butter
8 or so tbsps brown sugar
lots of freshly ground black pepper
a drizzle of maple syrup (optional)

(Sorry I don't have exact measurements, I really just eyeball it.)

Original Directions:
Place the squash, shell side down, in a baking dish. Top each piece with a pat of butter, approximately a tbsp of brown sugar, pepper, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Bake at 400* for about 30 minutes, or until the squash is soft.

Vegan Notes: Sub Earth Balance or another butter-like-substance for the butter. Easy!

1 comment:

  1. I am certainly going to try this. I'm a big acorn squash fan.
    I'm doing Vegan MoFo on my blog too, and I'm trying to visit as many fellow MoFoer's as possible. I'm so glad I discovered your blog, it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete