Saturday, October 24, 2009

VEGANMOFO 2009: Guestblogging by DocDufresne Again

This is DocDufresne back for more action. Amanda just picked the wrong month for Vegan MOFO. Yesterday I got a call from her at 6:30 PM saying that she was still out in the field and couldn't make dinner. She suggested ordering out, but I said "Hey, DocDufresne doesn't back away from VeganMOFO." I stepped up to the plate, ready to make the Curried Bulgur Wheat Casserole with Garbanzo Beans from The Complete Vegan Cookbook by Susann Geiskopf-Hadler and Mindy Toomay. One problem, Whole Foods was out of bulgur wheat on Sunday. I substituted couscous, which is definitely not the same. After I mixed all the cooked ingredients I realized I had way too much couscous, but fortunately I had enough other stuff to put in, essentially doubling the recipe.

I also made some acorn squash with brown sugar and Earth Balance, which was baked at 300 F for ~1 hour. I'm not exactly sure the best temperature/time combo to cook acorn squash, so any suggestions are appreciated.

The final result:


Ugly photo for sure, but we were starving. A pretty good tasting meal, though.


1 comment:

  1. Looks good!

    I normally cook my acorn squash on 350 degrees and beginning checking it for tenderness at the 30 minute mark and add time depending on how tender/firm it is. However, if you have the oven set at different temperature for another dish that works too. Sorry I can't be more precise. I will make some acorn squash soon and test the time and will post it on my blog.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete