Tuesday, October 27, 2009

VEGANMOFO 2009: Favorite Vegans Tribute II

It's Day Two of my Favorite Vegans Tribute. Today's featured vegan is my good friend, Shivels (although she detests that name). Shivels and I became fast friends after I joined the animal activist group on our school's campus. She means so much to me. I'll never forget the determination she exhibited by voting multiple times daily for a contest that DocDufresne and I were trying to win to pay for our green wedding. Speaking of our wedding, Shivels was our AMAZING officiant! We shared many a Krishna lunch, dined together at many a potluck, and traveled together on many a road trip. (Shivels even helped move me up to Philly from Florida!) She's perhaps the most fun of my friends and it's practically impossible not to have a great time in Shivels' company.Sticky Fingers last summer on the way up to Philly from Gainesville. T-Cat is poking her face into the photo as well!

Shivels played a part in my transformation into becoming a vegan. I remember the day well, although I need tomorrow's featured vegan to remember the date of my veganiversary! A little over three years ago, Shivels and I, along with a few other people, ate at Garden Cafe in Orlando. This dish reminds me of that day and other **very memorable** meals we shared at Chopstix in Gainesville. Here's my attempt at General Tso's tofu with broccoli and shiitake mushrooms.When I was brainstorming ideas for Shivels' tribute, I kept thinking of sweets. Strawberry shortcake cupcakes (turned cake) made for my 21st birthday, chocolate chip cookies (Shivels' equivalent of my grilled cheese- her irrisistable favorite), and fudge. I went with the latter and used the Melt in Your Mouth Fudge from Sinfully Vegan. I love this book. All the recipes I've made from it have been great, and the fudge was no exception. I topped the fudge with pecan halves. I think I did you proud, Shivels.Along with T-Cat (and a few others to be featured this week), I get to see Shivels next month for our VEGAN THANKSGIVING IN SEATTLE! Can you tell I'm excited?On our way to Asheville, NC.

No comments:

Post a Comment