Monday, March 2, 2009

Powershift in Washington D.C.

I went to D.C. this past weekend to visit some friends, attend Powershift, and eat at some really great restaurants! As you'll be able to tell from the following post, I go a little overboard when on vacation in a great Vegan-friendly city. Sorry for the quality of some of the pics- I didn't want to annoy people with the flash of my camera and some of the places we visited were dark. Here's a breakdown of my eating adventures this weekend:

Friday 2.27.09


Lunch at Sticky Fingers Bakery
*****A MUST-VISIT

This was my 3rd time visiting this fabulous place. The folks at Sticky Fingers were great, even offering to open the glass case so that I could get photos of the delicious goodies! I ordered a Veggie Chili and "Cheese" Dog (you must get this when you visit!), a chocolate cupcake, chocolate/vanilla swirl soft-serve, and a sticky roll to go (another must-have!)



Dinner at Nirvana
***PRICEY, BUT GOOD
My friends and I trekked to this vegetarian, Indian restaurant for dinner. The food was delicious, especially my Masala Dosai, which also came with sambar and coconut chutney. I also got Aloo Gobi, which was a small serving and didn't come with rice. Both dishes were the same price. I recommend the dosai over the curry for its taste and value.


Late night snack provided mostly by Trader Joes!


Saturday 2.29.09

T and I ate our sticky buns from Sticky Fingers for breakfast!

Lunch at Bus Boys and Poets
****A MUST VISIT

Bus Boys and Poets is a VERY popular establishment with funky decor and a menu full of great vegan options. I shared the Tempeh Sandwhich and Vegan Eggs Wrap with my friend, T. Both were delicious and came with sides (we opted for the fruit salad and home fries.) To end the meal, T, A, and I ordered all of their available vegan desserts to share: blueberry cheesecake, raspberry cheesecake, fresh-out-of-the-oven-and-still-gooey chocolate chip cookie, and brownie a la mode with dark and white chocolate chips. Delish!






Dinner at Ella's Pizza
****A MUST VISIT

This place was crazy busy, but it only took about 15 minutes to be seated. OUTSTANDING vegan pizza! A and I had the Margherita Pizza, while T and C ordered other individual-sized pizzas with veggie toppings. (I think mine was the best and T agreed!) The four of us also shared a small pitcher of Sangria and an appetizer of Lentil Salad with Crispy Eggplant (the chef sauteed our eggplant instead of battering/frying it.) Our server was also very friendly!

Late-night snack at Black Cat
***GOOD (FOR THE ATMOSPHERE OF A BAR)
C, A, T, N, D, and I (okay this is getting a tad confusing!) took the subway to Black Cat. We were thinking of going to Asylum, but it was cold and snowing and the extra walking wasn't appealing! As a group we ordered the Chocolate Cake and the Carrot Cake. Both were dry. We also got 1.5 orders of the Nachos, but they were out of the chili that usually tops the chips. The nachos were good- the "cheese" was made out of tahini and was a bit on the sour side due to the lemon juice. N really, really like them. If they had the chili, I bet I would have liked it a lot more. I also got a coffee with soymilk to stay awake! Others ordered beer.


Sunday 3.01.09

FAILED ATTEMPT at breakfast at Java Green. Waah! We could not fathom why a restaurant serving breakfast all day would be closed on a Sunday morning. We went to Au Bon Pain around the corner. DON'T BOTHER! The only nice thing is that they had a computer readily available for you to look up ingredients lists.

Lunch at California Tortilla
**OKAY IF YOU'RE ON THE RUN

We needed a quick meal. California Tortilla had several options for lunch. I got two soft tacos: black bean (which came with black beans and lettuce...) and veggie and bean. That's all I have to say about this place!

I hope T, A, and C made it to Java Green the following day!

I miss all you guys! Hopefully they will make an appearance in a later posting about Philly dining!

No comments:

Post a Comment