Two months ago (yikes, has it been that long?!) I found this sad-looking chair out on the street, awaiting the garbage truck. Where you ask? On my very short walk to work, of course! I've found four pieces of furniture this way. From what I can tell the chair is fairly old, I would guess antique. I wore a mask while removing the paint, as I wasn't sure if the paint contained lead.
As you can see, the chair was missing a seat. My father-in-law graciously cut the wooden base for the seat. I ordered a piece of foam from a company on Ebay that cuts it to your specifications, and used leftover fabric from the previously featured love seat that I re-created to upholster the seat. Shhh...don't tell anyone, but I actually just hot-glued the fabric to the foam/wood!
This was my first time chipping off paint. I wasn't totally successful, even with sanding it afterward, so if you look at the chair closely you can see that the paint's a little uneven. Oh well. I primed it with a recycled paint provided by my coworker and finished it up with two coats of a honey yellow paint sample I picked up from a home improvement store. (I attempted to find leftover paint on Craigslist, but no such luck.) The sample turned out to be more than enough and I've already used it on a couple of other projects!
This wasn't a huge project, but I love this little chair. And now we can seat one more person for a potluck!