Monday, September 14, 2009

Good Eats and Good Company

Food update!

Most of these are from last weekend when I visited South Florida for my mom's birthday. I also got the opportunity to meet up with a few friends and my siblings, of course.

Breakfast on my mom's birthday included mini Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (Vegan Brunch), Broccoli Quiche (Vegan Brunch), champagne grapes (thanks, TCat for introducing me to these little yummies!), Chai (an original), and strawberries with mint and lime juice.


My mom requested a birthday filled with "munchies" for the attendees throughout the day. Hopefully I delivered! In addition to the hummus and veggie platters and jasmine iced tea, there was...

Caesar salad with homemade croutons and dressing (not pictured- an original)


Lemony Roasted Potatoes (Veganomicon)
[I use about 1/3 of the suggested lemon juice. Rave reviews.]


mini Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (Vegan Brunch)


Pain au Chocolate [et framboises]
[Literal translation: Bread with chocolate and raspberries]

[Next time I'll make them half the size so more people can enjoy them. These were devoured.]

Tempeh Sausage Pastry Puffs (Vegan Brunch)

[So good! I first had the pleasure of trying these when they were made by my friend Dynahmite.]

Coconut Lemon (or...uh...Lime) Bundt Cake (Veganomicon)

[As requested by my mom. My brother, A, actually made this. It was great!]

The next morning I made pancakes from this recipe (which we also use for our delicious Belgian Waffles), but didn't take a photo before they were eaten. Apparently they were the best ever, according to my brother, A. The day after that I made crepes for breakfast. I added a dash of nutmeg to the batter, and filled them with sliced bananas and agave nectar. I topped them off with powdered sugar and cinnamon. Really good!!


DocDufresne stayed home with the boys this past weekend. Since our usual weekly shopping trip didn't happen, there wasn't much to work with to make dinner tonight. I ended up pulling together a pretty good meal anyway.

Savory Lentils and Rice with Sheese Quesadillas
(Sheese acquired at a South Florida Whole Foods)

Adapted loosely from a Rachael Ray recipe

Ingredients
3/4 cup lentils
1/3 cup rice
1 bay leaf
2 1/2 cups water
2 cloves garlic, grated
juice of 1 lime
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
lots o' pepper
pinch o' salt
pinch o' paprika
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1. Cook lentils, rice , and bay leaf in water until water is absorbed. In the mean time mix the remaining ingrediants in a mixing bowl.
2. When lentils and rice are finished cooking, add them to the mixing bowl and combine all ingredients. Serve warm and add lime slices to garnish.

Mini Guava Cakes
(Guava paste was also acquired on my trip to South Florida!)

Ingredients
1/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup apple sauce
juice from one lime
1/3 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup flour
1/3 tsp baking powder
4 oz guava paste, cut into rectangular slices

1. Mix wet ingredients (minus the guava paste) together. Mix the dry ingredients together. Combine the two mixtures.
2. Pour 1/2 the batter into a greased mini spring form pan. Place the guava slices on top of the batter. Pour in the rest of the batter.
3. Bake for about 30 minutes in your toaster oven at 350 degrees.
4. When cake is cooled, flip onto a plate, garnish with powdered sugar, and enjoy!


I leave you with two photos of the boys.


4 comments:

  1. Those mini poppy seed muffins look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food photos are gorgeous and they're making me drool. And, oh! I know those puppies from the lovely PPK, sooo cute <3
    I'd love it if you'd point me in the direction of a good crouton recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, Kay! For croutons, I just mix French bread cubes in a bowl with a bunch of extra virgin olive oil (more than you'd think), salt, pepper, and garlic (dried, minced if I'm lazy). I then bake them until finished. That's probably not very helpful- I've burned my share of croutons by forgetting about them while they're in the oven.

    ReplyDelete